Sunday, August 29, 2004

THE FACE OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE

It is just one more day until I see Peggy again. I am nervous about the meeting because it will not be the Peggy that I have known all of my life. It will be a different Peggy.

She won't be the little girl who was my shadow.

She will not be the teenager who became my friend.

She will not be the adult who was my confidant and teacher.

I will hug her and try to act like nothing has changed.

When I smile, touch her face and look into her eyes....it will not be the Peggy that I have known all of these years. I will be seeing a person who has forgotten that I was ever a part of her life.

When I look at Peggy, I will be seeing Alzheimer's disease and what it has done to my beautiful sister, my forever friend.

I will be staring at Alzheimer's disease..........

Face to Face.

I pray for courage, I pray for strength but most of all...

I pray for Peggy!

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Mary Louise

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that i feel so bad for what you and your family are going through...My Name is Michelle and im 15 yrs old and i have an older sister..and i look up to her so much that i wouldn't know what to do if this disease was to ever take over her in her future..I just wanted to say you are a very strong human being...and that i will pray for you and your family...I hope everything goes well when you visit your sister.

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my prayers as well as my heart, Mary.  Hugs. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Mary Louise, my thoughts are with you today....

Anonymous said...

May God be with you Mary Louise.  You are so courageous.  I pray that the "little sister" that you love so much will know you when you arrive.  Love,  Flo

Anonymous said...

Don't look at alzheimer's look at Peggy for who she is now.

Anonymous said...

Mary Louise, thank you for inviting me to share in this very special journal.  I know that there are no words that can lessen the deep wounds of slowly losing someone you love.  I did read an article on Alzheimers recently in which the author talked about the gift it can give.  That is, the person who experiences Alzheimers ultimately lives "in the moment" every moment.  In that sense one can never have a "bad day" only a bad moment or two.  Memory is the very priceless gift  you have to keep your sister close forever.   God Bless.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Louise, just stopped by to see how your visit with Peggy went.  You are in my thoughts....

Anonymous said...

Just dropped in to see how your visit with Peggy went.  Hope everything is okay.  Keep in touch!  I think of you often and include you, your family and Peggy in my prayers.  Take care, honey.  Robyn