Wednesday, August 18, 2004

ENGLISH IVY

We have English Ivy around a big tree in our front yard. It is a climbing vine with a woody stem and evergreen leaves.

It is beautiful but can also be deadly for the tree or anything else it grows on. Over the years, our ivy has inched it way around the tree and into the yard. It's green tentacles wrap around everything in it's path and it will strangle life as it grows, if it is not kept in check.

The ivy must be cut from the trunk of the tree every few months. If it isn't, it will climb and wrap it's woody stems around the huge tree and choke it to death. This massive tree could do nothing to save it's self against the power of this small, climbing vine.

I think Alzheimer's disease is alot like the English Ivy in our yard.

  The Alzheimer's ivy began growing in Peggy's brain as a small cutting. It took root there and it has woven it's woody stems around every part of her brain. It has choked and tangled it's way through Peggy's nerve centers and memory centers.  It is inching it's way through the cells located in the soft gray tissue of her brain. These cells coordinate and regulate the function of the central nervous system. The central nervous system integrates the function of the body as a whole.

All of her body function are shutting down because of the fast, tangling growth of the Alzheimer's vine in her brain.

The Peggy that I knew is slowly being strangled by this invasive vine and it will continue to grow on her brain until she is no more.

I feel helpless as I watch the vine tangle and run rampant through her mind. I know that I can do nothing but watch as she continues to disappear.

If I had the power, I would go inside Peggy's brain and cut the vine away. I would find great joy in ripping the green tentacles from her mind and setting her free.

I hope that one day soon science and research will find the right tools to remove the invasive Alzheimer's vine from so many gentle minds before......

They Too........ Completely Disappear.

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Mary Louise

No comments: