Wednesday, October 13, 2004

QUESTIONS

I asked Peggy some questions during my visit with her last month.

I wanted to try and understand what she was thinking as Alzheimer's erases memories from her brain.

I asked her what she was thinking at that very moment.

Her reply was.... things.

What kind of things, Peggy? 

I don't know.

 Do you think about sad things or happy things when you are sitting here and thinking?

Sad things, she said.

Can you tell me about the sad things that you think about?

No, she replied.

Do you think about Mother and Daddy?

Sometimes.

Do you wonder who the people are that come to visit you?

Yes.

Why don't you ask the people who they are?

Peggy shrugged her shoulders...

Peggy, when you look in a mirror, who do you see looking back at you?

I don't know her.... she replied.

When you see that person in the mirror, who does she look like to you?

Her reply was...... nobody.

Then, I asked again, what do you see when you look in the mirror Peggy?

Her reply was....Nothing.

Do you remember what a sister is?

Yes

Peggy, do you know who I am?

No

Do you know that I Love you?

Yes.

Are you scared of anything?

No.

Are you happy?

Yes.

I am your sister, Peggy and I love you today, very much!

She looked at me and smiled.

There is no way to understand what she was thinking or feeling as I talked with her.

 I do know that when I looked at her that day, I saw my sister.

I saw a sister who is disappearing from Alzheimer's disease but I also saw the little sister that I love very much.

She may look in a mirror and see nothing...but when I looked at her that day, I saw a beautiful person.

I saw the memories of our lifetime together.

I saw Peggy....

My forever friend.

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Mary Louise

 

 

No comments: