Sunday, October 10, 2004

ALZHEIMER'S TUG OF WAR

Peggy and I have been playing a game of tug of war with Alzheimer's disease. The disease has been pulling her into disappearance and I have been trying to pull her back.

We have been playing in a contest where two teams pull at opposite ends of a rope, each trying to drag the other across the mud puddle in the center. The teams pull with all their might, digging their heels into the ground. 

This tug of war contest is not a fair battle because Alzheimer's disease is as strong as an elephant.

In my game of tug-of-war...Alzheimer's disease is winning.              I have refused to let go of my end of the rope but I know that Peggy's illness will eventually pull me through the nasty mud of her total disappearance.

     

Peggy let go of the rope a few months ago. I knew that she had let go when she didn't remember who I was any longer. She held onto the rope as long as she could but one day, Peggy slipped and was drawn face down into the mud puddle in the center of the contest.

There were no screams of defeat from her mouth, she simply let go of the rope.

I continue to pull on my end of the rope.

I refuse to declare Alzheimer's disease the winner of this contest.

Peggy is losing her battle but there are many others who are standing on my side, pulling on the rope with every ounce of strength they posses.

There are the scientist who are searching for a cure and they will never let go of the rope until a cure is found. They search for a cure with a strength of purpose that is cast in bronze.

We will continue this contest of strength and there will be a cure found one day. There will be many Peggy's in the future who will be able to live normal lives, free of Alzheimer's disease.

One day, we will give the rope one last tug...

On that day, this vicious disease will be completely covered in the nasty, brown ooze in the center of the contest. It will lie defeated in the ooze that it creates in the minds of the people it touches.

On that day... a cure for this disease will be announced. The tug of war will be over and we will be declared the winner's of the contest.

It will be too late for Peggy when the cure is found but just in time for millions of other people.

People who will be facing Alzheimer's disease on the other end of a rope..... in the tug of war of their lives.

  http://www.alzheimers.org

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Mary Louise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

every time u post i love what u write...its always seems so perfect...but i really dont know what to say....so today i will just say that my thoughts and prayers are with u and all of your family....and peggy the most...God Bless You All...

linda
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny

Anonymous said...

ML, again the way you describe Alz. is perfect.  I know you will continue to post your thoughts on your journal as long as Peg is here with us and after she is in Heaven.  It is still hard for me to believe that she has Alz and at such a young age. All my love to you as you continue to write about the love we have for Peg. I love you, BJ, Peg, and Johnny...caragricke (Sister #2)

Anonymous said...

succulent tenacious wisdom....

you are an amazing sister...