Friday, November 7, 2003

Amazing Grace

Friday, November 7th, 2003

Yesterday and today Peggy was laughing and happy. I just couldn't write yesterday.

Today, she said her hair was silky and shiney.

I was asking her a question when she brust into song!

She sang, Amazing Grace over and over!

When I complimented her she would start again.

 I asked her if I could sing it with her because we used to sing together when we were young. She agreed and together, we sang those powerful words over and over, while tears ran down my face.

I just couldn't sing any more so I just held the phone, listened to her sing the words and cried!

Then all of a sudden she said, Mother and Daddy are going to take me home and she started Amazing Grace again.

Mother died in '82 and Daddy in '94!

She was happy and that is what I tried to hold to while she sang.

Yesterday and today were difficult calls  but I'm  thankful that she is happy.

I try to focus on her happy mood and not the empty, sad  hole in my heart as I continue to be a daily part of my sister's decent into darkness.

Another day gone in this Long Goodbye.

ML

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your journal and your spirit extremely strong. This is a wonderful thing you are doing, and I wish nothing but the best in whatever you may encounter.
~Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I am reading your entire journal backwards this afternoon. My heart reaches out to you and your family. I am thankful that you experienced her singing and you felt her spirit (which is still there even if her body refuses to let it out) As this disease gets worse , I encourage you to come back to this particulair entry and  read it over and over and over again and let her spirit on this day give you comfort and rest........God bless you and your family