Monday, September 25, 2006

WHISPERING HOPE

I was privileged to hear Peggy's voice on Saturday night.

It was not the strong voice with a musical lilt that I remembered. It was a soft, desperate sounding whisper.

She whispered in a fast monotone sound. While she whispered, there were no breaths that I could detect.

I kept telling her who I was and that I loved her but the whispering never stopped. She never seemed to hear my words.

Was she trying to tell me something? We used to whisper when we were children and the lights had been turned out at night.

Or, if we were in a place where talking was not allowed.

Was she reaching out to me in her whispers? Did I miss something in her soft, rapid words that I needed to hear to help her in some way?

After I hung up the phone a barrage of memories filled my mind.

All the whispering of our life time together came flooding back.

When we were girls we would harmonize while singing songs.

 Once a month, we would go to a park near our home and sing for a Senior Citizens group.

We started off our show with a song from Fats Domino called "I'm Walking" and we even added choreography. We always ended our show with a song called "Whispering Hope".

Saturday, while listening to Peggys rapid whispering on the phone, the lyrics of "Whispering Hope" floated back from the stage of Harrison Park where we stood and sang so long ago.

I could hear us singing that song to the people seated in the audience.

I just hope that Peggys whispering yesterday contained the hope of that song.

Here are the words to "Whispering Hope" and I sing them this morning for Peggy.

WHISPERING HOPE

SOFT AS THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL

  BREATHING A LESSON UNHEARD

HOPE WITH A GENTLE PERSUASION

  WHISPERS HER COMFORTING WORD

 

WAIT, TILL THE DARKNESS IS OVER

   WAIT, TILL THE TEMPEST IS DONE

HOPE FOR THE SUNSHINE TOMORROW

   AFTER THE SHOWER IS GONE.

 

WHISPERING HOPE

   OH HOW WELCOME THY VOICE

MAKING MY HEART

  IN ITS SORROW REJOICE.

 

IF IN THE DUSK OF THE TWILIGHT

   DIM BE THE REGION AFAR

WILL NOT THE DEEPENING DARKNESS

   BRIGHTEN THE GLIMMERING STAR?

 

THEN, WHEN THE NIGHT IS UPON US

   WHY SHOULD THE HEART SINK AWAY?

WHEN THE DARK MIDNIGHT IS OVER

   WATCH FOR THE BREAKING OF DAY.

 

WHISPERING HOPE

   OH HOW WELCOME THY VOICE

MAKING MY HEART IN ITS SORROW REJOICE.

 

After all those years of singing that song with Peggy, I finally understand the message of the song.

Peggy whispered to me yesterday and I remembered the words to a song we sang so many years ago.

A song that made my heavy heart feel lighter after hearing her give me what I needed yesterday....

WHISPERING HOPE!

I Love You Today, Peggy!

It was nice to hear your whispering hope. Thanks!

 

There is No time like the old time.....

when you and I were young!  Oliver Wendell Holmes

 

Mary Louise

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a beautiful song we used to sing often when I was growing up in the Church of Christ.  I enjoyed doing the alto part so much.  Nobody ever seems to sing it, these days.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that Peggy was able to give a gift to you-the gift of Whispering Hope. Margo

Anonymous said...

maybe shewas reverting. Before my grandmother died I took her a doll they said dolls are good for A patients. I had not heard a word from her in avery long time. ALL Of a sudden and IM glad the girls were there Or I dthought i was nuts and no one would have believed me......... I said Granny waht do you want to name the baby. She looked up dead IN MY EYES and said BILL!!!!!!! I said what/??? she said BILL> she nver said another word after that but The significance of that is that her son my moms brother who died at age 29 of alcoholizm his name was BILL.

Anonymous said...

That is so special. She sang the song to you once again.  I'm glad you heard her whispers.  Will you get to visit her again soon?

Love,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

I love that song...one of the few I can still play from memory on my accordian.   Linda in Washington state  

Anonymous said...

   THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT BEAUTIFUL SONG ... I haven't heard it for so long ... hope that I have the sheet music for it ...
   I agree about how appropriate it is, in many ways, to you & your sister now.

LOIS