Tuesday, September 28, 2004

LOOKING FROM THE INSIDE...OUT.

LOOKING OUT.... FROM THE INSIDE

I wonder what it would be like if we didn't have mirrors to view our physical image. What would it be like if we could only see ourselves from the inside.... looking out?

We would not know if we were beautiful or plain. We would have to rely on other people to tell us how we look physically.

It is really true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Peggy was a beautiful woman on the outside before she developed Alzheimer's disease.

Her physical image has changed since Alzheimer's has taken over her body.

I hardly knew the woman that I saw when I visited with her. Her physical appearance has changed. She is bloated from the medicine that she is taking and wears no make-up. Her hair is cut short for convenience sake.

The other Peggy always had polished nails and dressed impeccably. She had her hair highlighted regularly and wore beautiful clothes. She was hardly ever without her makeup applied to perfection.

The Alzheimer's Peggy lives from day to day looking from the inside out. Mirrors do not mean anything to her.                           How she looks to other people does not mean anything to her now.  Makeup, hair styles, clothes and polished nails do not mean anything to her.

What a relief to never worry about what other people think of how we look on the outside.

What a relief to be comfortable with yourself, just the way you are.

I do think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder because when I saw this new Peggy, this Peggy who is in the last stages of Alzheimer's disease....... I saw beauty.

I saw a little girl who followed me around.

I saw the teenager laughing at a joke.

I saw the young mother holding her babies.

I saw the active golfer and tennis player.

I saw a vivacious wife and mother.

I looked right past the outside of Peggy whose body is ravaged with Alzheimer's disease. 

I saw the Peggy who is a still a beautiful person on the inside.

Peggy will always be beautiful to me because I know the real Peggy.

The Peggy that lives on the inside...looking out.

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Mary Louise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in a cruel, harsh, non caring world.  It is truly inspirational to see someone like you who cares so much giving so much of yourself.  Thank you for sharing your story...Your story gives me hope.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.  She is now free from worldly troubles and appearances.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I picture the old Peggy and how much she has changed.  Her husband loves her now as much as he ever did so does her family.  caragricke (Barbara, No. 2 sister)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful tribute not only to Peggy but to you as well.  Any one would be blessed to have a sister such as you.  Thanks.  Paulette