Monday, December 20, 2004

MISSING A PART OF MY HEART

My Mother had five children.

I was the first to move far away from Alabama and home. I'll never forget my first Thanksgiving away from home and family.

Later, Mother told me that there were 5 parts to her heart and a part of her heart was missing on that Thanksgiving.

Being young, I thought..Motherrrr, you had everyone else there!

It took age and gained wisdom to know exactly what she meant when she made that statement.

This Christmas, even though I have everyone that I love around me.........

A Part of my Heart is missing.

It is the place where Peggy used to live and bring joy, laughter and crazy, funny presents. Like the "chicken" that we would send to one another in our Sister gifts.                                                           No one knew from year to year who would get "The Ugly Chicken".

I really miss the chicken!            

No one has gotten it in several years and so it must have been a gift to Peggy the last Christmas that she remembered.

The Chicken stopped with Peggy. Just like so many other things stopped when Peggy forgot how to remember.

This is how Alzheimer's disease is especially vicious. The person that is missing in my heart this Christmas is still alive.

Peggy just doesn't remember Christmas....

And she doesn't remember...Me!

I Love You Today, Peggy!

Sending you my Christmas Memories of "The Chicken"...with love!

Mary Louise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a way with words.

I"m waiting for your novel to come out....  And the christmas chicken sounds like a hoot!  you and your siblings really do know how to have fun.  even in the saddest of times.

I"M glad all of your youngon's will be there for christmas.
=)
love,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOO SAD BUT AT LEAST THERE ARE THE MEMORIES TO ENJOY......STORMIE